Silver Eagle Mintages
The table below displays the Silver Eagle mintages struck by the United States Mint. This includes bullion versions of the coin in the first column, proof versions in the second column, and the collectible uncirculated versions in the third column.
Important to note, these figures represent the final audited mintages or last reported sales provided by the United States Mint. The data set begins with the first year of the series, the key date 1986 American Silver Eagle, and runs current.
Key Date Silver Eagle Mintages
The primary key date for the series has remained the elusive 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle with a mintage of just 30,125 pieces. This is followed by the 2011-P Reverse Proof and 2011-S Uncirculated Silver Eagles, which both had final mintages of 99,882. The highest mintage proof issue was the inaugural year of 1986, with 1,446,778 pieces distributed.
Important to know, the lowest mintage for a bullion coin is the 1996 American Silver Eagle, at 3,603,386. In contrast, the highest mintage bullion year is the 2015 American Silver Eagle. Sales reached an astounding 47,000,000 coins and achieving the sixth annual sales record in seven years. For numbers marked with an asterisk (*), refer to the mintage notes following the table.
|2006-P Reverse Proof||–||248,875*||–|
|2011-P Reverse Proof||–||99,882*||–|
Silver Eagle Mintages Continued
|2012-S Reverse Proof||–||224,935*||–|
|2013-W Reverse Proof||–||235,689*||–|
Enh Rev Pr(W): 99,675
Enh Rev Pr(S): 29,909
V75 Privy Mark
|2021 (Type 1)||(P): 495,500|
|2021 (Type 2)||(W): 13,968,500*|
*Silver Eagle Mintage Notes:
- 1993: Proof mintage includes 12,689 coins sold in the Philadelphia Set.
- 1995-W: The Proof coins with “W” mint mark issued only as part of the 10th Anniversary Gold Eagle Proof Set.
- 1997: Proof mintage includes 4,965 coins sold in the Impressions of Liberty Set.
- 2006: Proof mintage includes 248,875 coins sold in the 20th Anniversary Set. Uncirculated mintage includes 248,875 coins sold in the 20th Anniversary Set and 19,145 coins sold in the Gold and Silver 20th Anniversary Set.
- 2006-P Rev Pr: Reverse Proof coin only issued in the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set.
- 2007: Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in the 2007 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- 2008: Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in the 2008 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- 2009: Collectible uncirculated and proof coins were not issued this year.
- 2010: Collectible uncirculated not issued this year.
- 2011: Proof and uncirculated mintages includes 99,882 coins included in the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set.
- 2011-S: Collectible uncirculated version with the “S” mint mark only issued in the 25th Anniversary Set.
- 2011-P Rev Pr: Reverse proof coin only issued in the 25th Anniversary Set.
- 2012: Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in the 2012 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. Proof mintage includes coins in the 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set.
- 2012-S: Proof mintage includes coins included in the 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set and 2012 Making American History Coin and Currency Set.
- 2012-S: Reverse proof coin only issued in the 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set.
- 2013: Proof mintage includes coins sold in 2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set and 2013 Congratulations Set. Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- 2013-W: Reverse proof and enhanced uncirculated coins issued only in 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set.
- 2014: Proof mintage includes coins sold in 2014 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set and 2014 Congratulations Set. Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in 2014 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- 2015: Proof mintage includes coins sold in 2015 Congratulations Set. Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in 2015 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- 2021-W (Type 1): Bullion mintage includes 200,000 Last Struck coins.
- 2021-W (Type 2): Bullion mintage includes 200,000 First Struck coins.
- 2021-W Rev Pr & 2021-S Rev Pr: Sold as part of the American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Reverse Proof Two-Coin Set Designer Edition.
NGC and PCGS Certified Silver Eagles
NGC and PCGS are the two leading coin graders in the industry certifying the majority of submissions. Nearly 14 million Silver Eagles have been certified by NGC alone. NGC’s Silver Eagle Census Report details how many coins have been graded for each year and what those are. Collectors use this important information to track the populations of their coins and potential acquisitions.