The series entered its third year with the 1988 Silver Eagle (Buy on eBay). The number of bullion coins produced fell by more than half from the prior year, as some of the pent up demand for precious metals had dissipated. Mintages for Silver Eagles would remain in similar range for the remainder 1980’s and majority of the 1990’S.
The 1988 Proof Silver Eagle (Buy on eBay) showed a mintage decline of over 350,000 compared to the prior year. The United States sold the proof coins to collectors for $23.00 during 1988, the same pricing used in the previous year.
For collectors of PCGS and NGC graded coins, this year is very difficult to find the bullion coin in perfect MS70 grade by either of the top grading services. The proof version of the coin can be found in NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo, but is difficult in PCGS PR70DCAM.
During 1988 the overall average price of silver was $6.53 per ounce.
1988 Silver Eagle Mintages
- Bullion Mintage: 5,004,646
- Proof Mintage: 557,370
- Mint Mark: none (bullion), S (proof)
- Designers: Adolph A. Weinman (obverse), John Mercanti (reverse)
- Composition: 99.93% silver, 0.07% copper
- Weight: 31.101 grams (1.000 ounces)
- Diameter: 40.6 mm (1.598 inches)
- Thickness: 2.98 mm (0.117 inches)
- Edge: Reeded